Doctoral of Philosophy (PhD) in Education (By Research)
- Programme Code: PhDER
- Duration: 3 Years
- Study time: Weekend
- Intake: August
- Education psychology,
- Social justice education,
- Curriculum studies,
- Education leadership and management;
- Sociological perspectives of education,
- Comparative and international education (global education);
- Curriculum development, implementation and evaluation;
- Language Education;
Applicants to the PhD programmes must meet the general requirements for admission to Graduate Programmes set by National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) and Kabale University. Specially, applicants must possess the following:
- Must have either a relevant Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a recognized university or institution of higher learning.
- Must have a relevant Master’s degree from a recognized University and/or Institution of Higher Learning recognised by NCHE. A Postgraduate Diploma in Education or Equivalent is an added advantage.
- Any other Master’s degree that may not be relevant but the applicant MUST have evidence of published materials relevant or related to the programme of study.
- Evidence of Recognition of Prior Learning that is equivalent to the qualification that is to be pursued. For Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), a prospective candidate shall first get clearance from NCHE to be eligible for admission.
- Present a scholarly written statement of research intent that is in line with the PhD. in Education programme scope.
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae.
- Three recommendation letters signed at least by two academics at a PhD. level or higher, and one professional referee.
- Fresh graduates of a Master’s degree should have at least one year of relevant working experience.
- Tuition Fees per Semester (East African): UGX 3,000,000
- Tuition Fees per Semester (Non East Africans): $2,000
Application and selection
|YEAR ONE, SEMESTER ONE|
|PDE9111||Advanced Research Methods||Class work/Workshops||60 HRS|
|PDE9112||Computer Applications in Research||Class work/Workshops||60 HRS|
|PDE9113||Scholarly Writing and Publications||Class work/Workshops||60 HRS|
|PDE9114||Philosophy of Science||Class work/Workshops||60 HRS|
|PDE9115||Institutional Pedagogy||Class work/Workshops||60 HRS|
|YEAR ONE, SEMESTER TWO|
|PDE9126||Seminar Series||Seminar/Workshop||60 HRS|
|YEAR TWO & THREE|
The Doctor of Philosophy in Education is designed for professional educators, education managers pursuing career in different education departments, researchers, graduates of Masters degrees in education and social workers, all aspiring to heighten their understanding of education research and theory, as well as global education praxis. At the end of their programme, graduates are supposed to utilize the high-tech skills and competencies acquired in their respective fields of specialization and in the philosophy of science to become social leaders and significant contributors to a globally competitive knowledge-based society.