Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Public Administration and Management (By Coursework and Research)
- Programme Code: PHDPAM-CW&R
- Duration: 3 Years
- Study time: Weekend
- Intake: April & August
- To provide advanced academic training in Governance, Public Administration and Management in order to enlarge academic knowledge in these fields.
- To provide students with hands-on and advanced research skills in the field of public administration and management.
- To enable students apply the theoretical and practical knowledge of public administration and management.
- To produce a public administrator with ethical values and competencies that fulfill the mission and Vision of Kabale University thereby enabling them to contribute to national and international public administration development covenants.
Applicants to the PhD programmes must meet the general requirements for admission to Graduate Programmes set by National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) and Kabale University. Specially, applicants must possess the following:
An admissible applicant should meet the following criteria:
- Master’s degree from a recognized University and/or Institution of Higher Learning in a field relevant to Business Administration.
- Any other Master’s degree that may not be relevant but the applicant must have evidence of published materials relevant or related to the field.
- Evidence of Recognition of Prior Learning that is equivalent to the qualification that is to be pursued. For Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), a prospective candidate shall first get clearance from NCHE to be eligible for admission.
- An application letter.
- A detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Three recommendation letters signed at least by two academics at a PhD level or higher, and one professional referee.
- A Concept Paper should be at least 2 pages and not be more than 10 pages, double-spaced.
- Tuition Fees per Semester (East African): UGX 4,000,000
- Tuition Fees per Semester (Non East Africans): $2500
Application and selection
|Year One: Semester One|
|PAM 9202||Computer Applications in Research||45||30||60||4|
|PAM 9102||Philosophy of Science||45||30||60||4|
|PAM 9201||Academic Scholarly Writing and Publication Skills||45||30||60||4|
|PAM 9104||Advanced Research Methodology||45||30||60||4|
|PAM 9105||Institutional Pedagogy by workshop||45||30||60||4|
|Total Credit Units||20|
|Year One: Semester Two|
|PAM 9101||Administrative and Management Theory||45||30||60||4|
|PAM 9103||Financial Management and Administration||45||30||60||4|
|PAM 9203||Public Policy, Leadership and Governance||45||30||60||4|
|PAM 9204||Advanced Human Resource Management & Development||45||30||60||4|
|PAM9205||Project Management Theory and Practice||45||30||60||4|
|Total Credit Units||20|
|Year Two & Year Three|
|PAM 9301||Doctoral Research Seminars (Proposal Development)||4|
|PAM 9302||Thesis Writing||5|
|TOTAL CREDIT UNITS|
Our graduates will play a key role in achieving Vision 2040 which is conceptualized around strengthening the fundamentals of the national economy to harness the opportunities around the country as academicians, consultants, managers of financial institutions, policy makers in government ministries and Civil Society Organizations, business and economic analysts, legislators, commissioners from various regional economic and political blocks, as well as entrepreneurs and investment advisors.